Friday, January 15, 2010

Making a Difference and Haiti

The title of my blog says that I am trying to make a difference.  But sometimes it can be so hard to figure out just how to do it.  I have been watching the situation in Haiti and have been feeling sad for those people  but I have not yet done anything to help.  It isn't that I don't want to, it's just that it is hard to know what to do.  Oh, I have been getting bombarded on TV and the internet with suggestions on easy ways to give money- text $10 here or visit web site there.  The problem is this:  all the stories you hear about organizations mismanaging money and not really helping properly undermine my confidence.  Take, for example, the texting.  I heard in the news that the phone service companies were making big profits on the whole text to charity thing (via their text messaging fees).  Then I heard that they suspended their fee, which seems like a great thing.  But I'm still left confused.  Where exactly does the money go and when will it reach Haiti?  I'm overwhelmed to say the least.

I hope to do something by the end of the day, but there are almost too many choices.  It's confusing.  And I don't want to mix someone else's agenda with my intention.  I want the Hatian people to be physically cared for.  I really get ticked off at the idea of religious groups using "aid" as the hook to bulk up their own ranks.  Why must we drag religion into doing good deeds?  It wouldn't be so bad if we were mature enough not to ever use religion to treat each other like crap, but humankind has not proven themselves to be capable of such distinctions.  Hopefully I'll figure out some way to help.  Soon.

1 comment:

  1. Follow on to this post: we ultimately chose Oxfam America and donated funds. Hopefully the people in need will directly benefit.

    ReplyDelete