Monday, January 25, 2010

Time vs. Money

The concept of time competing with money is so interesting to me.  As I get older, my goal is to strike the correct balance between working (and sometimes earning money) and enjoying the time in between work days.  In recent years I have felt a dearth of both time and money, but currently I feel almost desperate for more relaxed, unstructured time.  


I'm a big reader of the self-help-manage-your-time-better books and have found many reasonable hints along the way.  If I were to summarize the underlying theme of all those books, it would be "be organized so that you know what's going on and can relax and enjoy when its time".  Good idea.  Except being organized takes time!  I love it when I have the time to hunker down with my stuff and organize, organize organize.  But alas, I have not the time.


So when I find myself in the midst of that circular dilemma, I get neurotic.  How do other people do it?  Maybe I should go to the doctor to check for a major disease that affects my energy levels.  Maybe I'm more depressed than I think and as a result I have less energy than other, more normal people.  


Sometimes my mind goes to places that I like with this.  For instance, I fancy myself to be this introverted artist and genius who doesn't have time for the mundane because I have a heretofore unreleased genius output just struggling for birth.  (I like that one- if only reality would correspond.)


So, at the end of the day, I'm a regular person struggling with time management issues just like Anyone Else.  So if Anyone Else has any hints or thoughts on how to manage these things I'd very much appreciate it. Humorous diversions are welcome. :)

1 comment: